Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Unilateral Hearing Loss

I have mentioned before that every Health Care Professional has there own opinions about the effects of SSD in children. I have came across many Doctors and some Audiologists who believe that my son's developmental delay and speech delay/disorder can not be contributed to him being deaf in one ear. Most want to blame it on the trauma he went through and birth. I know I am not a Doctor, and I haven't had the "proper education and training" in this area, and I don't see and treat a big population of children on a daily basis. But I know what life is like for one SSD child because I LIVE it everyday. I have worked with my son day after day for over 3 years. I see where he progresses and where he does not. I have done my own research. Along with talk to other parents with SSD children, some have speech issues and some do not. I have also talked to adults that have lived with SSD, some have struggled with speech and some haven't. Most of them (children and adults) did not have a traumatic start like my son and still had speech issues!  Most of the Professionals who blame the delay on issues from his birth, are also the ones who said he would never be "normal" either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine. Our family, friends, his teachers and Therapists at school who really know Christian also know their is much more to this boy then what he went through at birth. He is a strong-willed little boy will love, compassion, energy and a smile that shines as bright as the sun. He catches on developmentally more quickly than most people give him credit for, usually the Doctors who visit with him a couple times a year for 15 to 30 minutes and don't see how hard he works and how far he comes everyday. If they spent more time with him they would see he doesn't have a learning disability, he just has a disadvantage of hearing as well as most children and it makes it harder to keep up with development and speech with those as the same age as him.

The reason I am blogging about this subject is because I found a great article about Single Sided Hearing Loss and I wanted to share the article with our followers (most of which are an important part of Christian's life) and you may learn something from it and our followers who are parents of children with Unilateral Hearing Loss as well. I also just felt the need to vent and express while the subject of Single Sided Hearing Loss was brought up.....
http://www.californiaearinstitute.com/ear-disorders-singled-sided-hearing-loss-children-ear-institute.php

I am always interested to hear what other people think about SSD or Unilateral Hearing Loss to any degree , feel free to express or vent if you wish! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment