Monday, December 6, 2010

School: A New Beginning

For the past 3 years, First Steps (an early intervention program for delayed/disabled children from birth to 3 years) has been a HUGE part of our life! Having a Speech Therapist come once a week. An Occupational Therapist come 1 to 2 times a month. An a Developmental Interventionist come twice a month, until 3 months ago, when she started coming once a week. Educating me in how to help my delayed son make progress. But on Dec 1, Christian turned 3 and had to exit the program. Now he is taking his next step to help with his delayments.... transitioning to preschool!










Christian with his Occupational Therapist and his Developmental Interventist.






For months I have questioned myself, "Should I really send him?" Thinking how crazy it would be to send a 3 year old to school who is still on the bottle, not potty trained, has limited verbal skills and who is very fearful of new things, easily frustrated and has a big temper. Not to mention his sensory problems, hearing loss and developmental delay. Everytime I questioned myself, it always ended up with me thinking how stupid of me it would be not to send him to a place that would help him. I have always known how far behind Christian has been. But, I don't think Ben, my husband, really realized how far behind he was, until a month or so ago. When a little girl who is about 7 months younger then Christian was talking in complete sentences. When Christian has limited speech. We aren't trying to compare our son to bring him down, we are just trying to get an idea of where he is at so he can get the help he needs. So, after months of talk and thinking Ben and I decided to send Christian.


The process of getting him into preschool has been very long. He has had several evaluations and testing done. Meetings to discuss him, his issues, and make sure everything has been gone over. Not to mention the normal exams before entering school. Although the process wasn't easy, it did make our decision a lot easier to send him. We now know the areas that he needs to work on how far behind in them he is. He will continue to get speech therapy for his speech delay and occupational therapy for his sensory issues while he attends school.


Today was his 3rd day of school. The first two days were quiet painful. He loved being in the classroom while I was there. Transitioning to the cafeteria and gym was hard, and he didn't like it when I left him for an hour the first 2 days. Today however, was much better for him! His day started out great in the classroom, but transitioning to the cafeteria for breakfast was still somewhat difficult for him. He did walk there today, unlike being carried while crying the last two days. He hated being in his little high chair (throwing a fit in it) but calmed down shortly, long enough to eat the sausage off of his pizza. Which the two days before he cried and didn't eat anything! He went back to the classroom and I slipped out at 8:15. I waited for his teacher to call me....and waited....and waited. At 9:15 I still hadn't heard from her, which the last two days I had been called by that time to come get him. I couldn't take it anymore, I called them. They said he was in the gym playing with the kids having a great time! He hadn't cried! I was sooo excited. Our goal was to get him to stay to 10:00 today and he did! I picked him up at 10:15 and his teacher was impressed with him. She said he played and interacted with kids and engaged in some of the activities. She said his day from yesterday to today was 100% better! Now if he can just continue to have a good day everyday! hahaha....
I am looking forward to seeing the good school will do for him...and myself. I must admit it will be nice to have some help with him. Being able to leave him in an environment were he can learn and I can have a little time to myself will be nice after 3 years. It does break my heart that my baby is growing up and attending school, but it is so worth it knowing all the help he will get!













1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of him Bliss!!! And I'm proud of you for being so strong!!!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete