Sunday, December 12, 2010

Update on Communication




The last blog entry I did about Christian's speech delay was posted back in January of this year, on another blog that I had. Since then his communication skills has improved very much! It is hard to believe this time last year, he didn't say much of nothing! This year, his verbal words include; "I want, I like, mama, dada, tete (sissy), dog, kitty cat, cat, no, eww, ski, and de" (deer). However, the words he can sign, I can't even keep up with anymore.


The biggest change in his communication skills in the past few months hasn't been the amount of words he has. But, being able to put them together to make sentences as typical kids his age (without hearing loss) can do. However, while most kids may say verbally, "I want more drink please." Christian's is a bit different. He will say verbally "I want" but finish the sentence by signing, "more drink please." Or as were a child would say, "Mommy, read book please." He would sign the whole sentence. So far the most words he has signed at one time is 5. "Mommy, read more book please." Needless to say he has made progress, which is what his "team of people" are the most concerned about. It is not how far he is delayed or how fast he "catches up", it is the fact he is able to make progress! If he hadn't been making progress, they would fear he had more brain damage then originally thought or that he would be falling into the Autistic Spectrum. But, thankfully he is making progress...so it isn't a concern anymore.


Even though he has continued to make progress, it has still been hard for me to make decisions based on how to treat each situation. Communication has been at the top of the list. When he started Speech Therapy at 16 months old, I was asked to teach him sign language. I thought that was crazy, like I could ever teach a 1 year old, sign language! But, I was desperate and gave it a try. Much to my surprise teaching him was the easy part! The criticism and all the loads of information that came along with teaching sign was much more complicated. I was told by many audiology and speech/language professionals at Kosair Children's Hospital, The Vanderbilt Audiology Clinic, and National Center For Childhood Deafness that teaching sign language to any child with a severe to profound hearing loss, regardless of unilateral or bilateral. The child would always choose sign language over verbally talking and taking this approach would be a bad idea. Once you got the child signing, it would be hard to get them to say actual words. However, many other professionals in these facilities mostly agree but, still feel like it is a approach to help with his communication. Even though I made the decision to go ahead to teach him sign until he learned to talk, I now wonder if I made the right decision, even though he can use both.


To further explain, when I ask him to SAY "mama" (which he can) he will instead, SIGN it. When he wants his favorite drink, Ski. I ask him to SAY "SKI" (which he can, and quiet well) he will instead, SIGN drink. He can say "de" for deer and if you ask him to say it, it will sign it instead. He says a word once or twice then signs it from there on out. So, it has left me wondering.....Did I make a mistake?! What do I do to help with this situation? I don't want to take him away from a language he is comfortable with and that he can benefit from at times. But, I don't want him to forget he is capable of communicating verbally either. I have been focusing less on sign and focusing more on his speech. Only time will tell on what method will help him. If only every "educated professional" didn't have a "personal opinion."


I think the most important thing is that he babbles all the time. Babbling is something that he used to not do. A lot of times, he makes no sense and sounds like he is talking in chinese. But, he is attempting to talk and he knows his mouth works. Progress there..... Regardless of what I do....there is one thing I know that will always be effected. To try everything possible, if something fails, try something else. The main thing is to never give up. I know in the end, we will find a way to get through this challenge. After all, we got this far didn't we!

1 comment:

  1. I think you do an awesome job when it comes to making the right decisions for Christian. And I firmly believe that he wouldn't be where he is today if it weren't for you! No matter what you have been faced with you have always pressed on, and I know you always will. Give yourself a pat on the back (because you absolutely deserve it) and don't second-guess yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete