Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Having Fun In The Snow




Christian did great yesterday at school! I dropped him off at 7:30 he was upset temporarily after I left (but he didn't throw anything like he did Thursday) and he stayed till 12:30. He did his work (even if the teacher had to bribe him with skittles) ate lunch, took his nap (after being rocked in the rocking chair) and overall had a great time! I am thrilled he did great yesterday. However, I was bummed this morning because the kids didn't have school. I mean don't get me wrong. I love having my babies at home with me. But I was afraid if Christian missed today, tomorrow would have him all out of whack at school. Instead of moving a step forward tomorrow, we make take a step back. He doesn't have school on Friday's so he gets a three day weekend and if he did good after three days, surely one day won't hurt nothing. I decided early this morning that I wasn't going to worry about tomorrow and I was going to make the best out of today.

Even though Christian wasn't at school and him and I both are so tired of our "table time" and normal "play time" I decided he was still going to do some educational activities today, even if it wasn't some of our normal activities. What did I choose? Playing in the snow! Now with that said, with Christian's tactile issues he doesn't like to wear clothes, let alone layers of clothes. He doesn't tolerate wind, the cold or snow for very long either. I usually take him out in the snow anyway. It always takes 20 minutes to put all his clothes on (after meltdowns, kicking off shoes, and constantly taking his hat off) but it is all worth it even if he only stays out for 3 minutes. After all he will never experience stuff like this unless we just work through it. Today was no different it still took just as long to get ready, but it was far more worth it this time.  Every year my husband and I take turns pulling each other on a sled with the 4wheeler, along with our daughter. Christian never takes part in this but I was determined to make his "work" fun today! Luckily the wind wasn't blowing to hard and for some reason he seemed to love it outside in the snow today. He ran around in the snow, which was great sensory input giving him good resistance in the slick snow. Once he got a feel of the snow, I placed him in my lap as I set on the sled and my husband pulled us around on the 4wheeler. Christian loved it! I used this opportunity to get Christian to imitate "wee, yay, go daddy go, and snow." For concepts of slow and fast, I said slow and fast when Ben sped up and slowed down on the 4wheeler.  Christian rode for about ten minutes. He didn't want to stop but his hands were red and ice cold (even with me holding them to keep them warm, because he refuses to wear gloves) and I decided his hands had enough and brought him in for his nap.


We had a great time today. Since Ben is working at night this week and is home during the day, we may do this activity again tomorrow if the wind isn't to rough and there isn't any school. Nothing like working on an activity that can be fun for the whole family! :)



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had an amazing day.
    I know I have told you this many times, but you are an amazing mom!! Continue to stay strong!

    God Bless,
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! You are a patient and loving Mom. God knew what He was doing when He entrusted you with Christian!
    Maybe someday we'll get back in a regular routine!

    "Ms." Terri

    ReplyDelete