Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Preschool Update

The kids went back to school yesterday from Christmas break. It is hard getting back into routine, especially now that I have a 3 year old to get up along with my almost 6 year old. Christian is still having trouble going to sleep at night, he didn't go to sleep until 11:30 Sunday night. Which made it hard for me to get up at four, and made it even harder to have the kids up at six yesterday morning. Which didn't happen, they didn't actually get up until 6:30.  I spent the last 15 minutes that I had to get them ready running around the house like a mad women, trying to get out the door on time. After all the fuss, we made it out of the house on time and arrived at school on time.

Monday, Jan 3rd.

School didn't start off on the right note with Christian yesterday. He screamed in the car most of the way to school. He didn't walk to his class (like he usually does) and he was crying off and on the whole time I was there with him (which is something he has never done). His teacher and I knew it was going to be a rough day for him..... at least it started out that way.

Transitioning from the classroom to the cafeteria was pure awful!!! As soon as this classmates lined up to go eat, he started having a meltdown. So instead of him walking in line with the other kids (like he had done the last two days before break) I had to pack him while he screamed and repeatedly through his body back. Some kids were staring, while other kids were covering their ears. Not that I blame them. His meltdown continued in his highchair, he screamed off and on. Nothing was consoling him....at least not for long. However, he did calm down when his Speech Therapist stopped by to talk to him. It was temporary through, as soon as she left he was throwing a fit again. Leaving was still traumatic, although he did dump his tray quietly with the help of his teacher.  She carried him back to the room while he screamed down the hallway.

We went back into the classroom I stayed for a few minutes, then snuck out at 8:15. I waited and waited for the teacher to call, thinking he would never make it to 10:00, I was wrong! I arrived back at the school at 9:55, one of the aides was bragging on how good he did while I was gone. I sneaked in the room and found him setting on the carpet with the other kids looking at a book. He was very content. He looked up and saw me then walked to me with the most beautiful big smile (like everyday I pick him up) hugged me and said "mama."  I think this is the perfect reward for putting up with his meltdowns. His teacher and Occupational Therapist reported that he did well while I was gone. He had a very brief fit before going to the gym, where he then began to play, and had a great time with his classmates. He let the OT and aide take him to get his diaper changed without a meltdown. He set in the OT 's lap and set with the other kids on the carpet while a story was being read, which I got to witness for myself! His day turned out okay after all. :)

Today...Tuesday, Jan 4th

Well once again Christian stayed up past his bedtime...ending up in bed at 10:30 last night. He didn't want to get up this morning but did better about it considering yesterday morning. I took Christian to his classroom, then walked Graci to hers. I came back to Christian's room immediately, and he was upset that I left. He got over it as soon as he seen me walk back in though. He didn't cry or have any meltdowns leading up to go to breakfast. The letter for the week is S, the kids were asked what sound it made, they replied "Sss" and Christian imitated them! Not only was he paying attention, he also said a new sound! Transitioning from the classroom to the cafeteria was difficult again. He screamed on and off while the other kids ate. He dumped his tray quietly again today with help from his teacher, but I had to carry him back to the classroom due to his meltdown after that. I waited for his attention not to be focused on me then I slipped out and left.  His teacher and I planned that I call her at 10:00 and see how he was doing and go from there. I called at 10:00 and he had done good up to that point and teacher told me to pick him up at 11:00.

So, I made it back a few minutes before 11:00. As I parked my car, I saw Christian's class outside on the playground. Then I saw my son and it broke my heart and I cried! He looked so content and looked to be having a great time (which he was) and it hit me that my baby is growing up.  He looked so small to compare all the other kids but I couldn't be any prouder of him. I went to the office to sign him out and the aide was bragging on him again like yesterday. She said he did great at lunch, no meltdowns and ate some of his food. I went to the classroom to get him and he was content. Once he saw me, he came straight to me with his big beautiful smile and gave me a big hug and said "mama." His teacher reported he had a good day. He let her stick his feet in paint, (for a project) he ate a little at lunch, they had a snow ball fight with waded up paper in the gym and he loved it! He got to work with his Speech Therapist today and that went great as reported. He will stay till 11:00 the next two days and if he does good we will up the time next week.


My view of him from the sidewalk




Christian playing, right before he noticed I was there.

It is only the second day back and he is not only getting back into the swing of things but he made progress with the time he stays as well. There are no words to describe how proud I am of him!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Christian!!! His Aunt Ashley is awfully proud of him too! I am glad he is doing good with school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO VERY PROUD OF HIM, I CRIED WHEN I READ WHAT U WROTE ABOUT SEEING HIM AND U THEN CRIED. I UNDERSTAND HOW IT FEELS TO SEE MY CHILDREN HAPPY AND SO VERY SAD!! I LOVE U AND YOUR ARE A REMARKABLE MOTHER AND DAUGHTER!! LOVE U MOM

    ReplyDelete